Acad SEEK Student Support Specialist in Queens, New York
Reporting to the SEEK/Counseling Director, the Academic Student Support Specialist will be responsible for providing educational support, academic advisement, and counseling assistance to students in the Percy Ellis Sutton/ Search for Education Elevation and Knowledge (SEEK) Program.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide consultation services to instructional and administrative staff regarding students with personal and academic difficulties.
- Provide advisement to all level students;
- Lead a freshman orientation seminar;
- Provide information regarding Queens College policies, procedures, requirements and major offerings;
- Conduct student workshops on: Academic probation, study skills, test-taking strategies, time management, career options, and success and motivation;
- Refer students to appropriate services on and off campus;
- Assist students in setting goals and priorities for success;
- Participate in collaborative outreach efforts for students experiencing academic and personal difficulties, in conjunction with administrators,faculty, and student groups;
- Provide consultation to faculty, staff and administrators on programs to improve student retention;
- Participate in SEEK Program college committees including, but not limited to, providing one-on-one and group college advisement and coordinating classroom presentations and student workshops.
A Master’s degree in counseling, social work, or psychology and two years’ related experience. Other related master’s degrees can be considered.
Note: this is not a mental health counselor/practitioner position and is not responsible for providing psychological counseling.
- Three years of counseling experience in a similar program.
- NYS license in counseling/social work or related discipline
- Experience working with inner city students from diverse socioeconomic, racial and ethnic background, non-traditional/underrepresented students in higher education settings
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends on flexible schedule
- Willingness to travel within the five boroughs/ national and host day and evenings events, periodically.
- Understanding and commitment towards the mission of the program, with determined delivery of service.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously with multiple priorities and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to meet students needs; demonstrate organization skills; detail oriented and ability to multi task
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with faculty, college administration, and staff
- Working knowledge of MS Office Products such as Word, Excel and Power Point
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft/Oracle information systems in a higher education or government environment
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical and interpersonal communication skills
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Provides educational programs, academic advice, and assistance to SEEK students. SEEK (Search for Education, Elevation, and Knowledge) is a higher education opportunity program established at the senior CUNY colleges to provide comprehensive academic support to assist capable students who otherwise might not be able to attend college.
- Provides advice to students covering academic, social, career, and related issues, making appropriate referrals as needed
- Determines areas of need and develops and teaches orientation programs, seminars, student workshops, and other activities
- Develops academic interventions related to student academic status and success
- Reports on activities and outcomes, assisting with report-writing and data collection
- Collaborates with academic and student support departments to ensure students are utilizing available services and programming
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting on any website other than CUNYfirst, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on “Employment”
- Click “Search job listings”
- Click on “More options to search for CUNY jobs”
- Search by Job Opening ID number (14582)
- Click on the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions
Please note that the candidates must upload a cover letter describing related qualifications and experience, resume, and the name and contact information of three (3) professional references as ONE DOCUMENT in any of the following formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
**Please use a simple name for the document that you uploaded, for example: JDoeResume. Documents with long names cannot be parsed by the application system.
May 14, 2016
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Job Title: Acad SEEK Student Support Specialist (Multiple Positions)
Job ID: 14582
Location: Queens College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time